26.7.10

Adam Rung Woodworks

So, quickly, before I get started on the coffee table, I thought it might be a good idea to give a bit of an idea about my place of work. I will say upfront that I truly enjoy working there (not that every activity I do fills me with pleasure, but it is among the best jobs I've ever had) and that I feel privileged every day to have come across a such a complementary situation. He's willing and able to give me what I want and every day I'm more able to give him what he wants. I'm always willing.
Adam Rung Woodworks operates out of an old coffin factory in Port Richmond. Adam has been stationed there for...somewhere between six and ten years, though I always seem to get a vague answer. He is an avid collector of items in which he sees potential for a furniture-related use. Coming into the shop in the morning, he is regularly armed with anything from an old lamp, a steel base from an old school desk, to a hexagonal grid of cast iron. Sometimes there is a decades-old corner cabinet from a local row-home waiting in the back of his van for me to unload and find (=make) a space for somewhere in the back of the shop.
He tries hard to recycle and repurpose found items and sometimes we refinish old pieces of furniture that he has tumbled upon. Most of the time we are building new things, though even they often include wood from old pine joists and the like. A full portfolio can be found on his website, but below are a few pictures from the showroom (slash office, slash cafeteria).

No comments:

Post a Comment