22.7.10

Beginning

I happened to fixate on the phrase, "An Alternative View of Change" when I saw it in the opening credits of a PBS documentary from the late 1970s called Connections. James Burke, who has published numerous books (including one that I cited heavily in my written thesis document) claims to be presenting this Alternative View, but I thought it seemed just as valid a claim for anyone to make so long as they are relating, in some way, the passing of events. To me, it makes the telling seem far more insightful, though. And perhaps even a bit subversive. And so I've adopted it.

Through this web log, I intend to document my early excursions into woodworking and, more specifically, the construction of pieces of furniture of my own design. I plan to post content as it comes into being (though I'm not sure I'll always be able to keep up) so it should provide the opportunity for anyone following along to submit their comments, compliments, criticisms, and advice. I will always welcome and consider your inputs, but understand that after certain benchmarks in the construction process, some words of advice can only help to guide future projects while highlighting the shortcomings and missed opportunities of the current project. So please don't take offense if I am ever dismissive of good ideas that are too late to be implemented.

One more thing:
Last week, while collecting scrap from the woodshop beneath ours (solid wood scrap, to deliver to Adam's parents for firewood in the winter) I found a couple of worthwhile keepers that you can see in the photo below. I'm thinking about turning one (the larger walnut slab) into a hall table for the Fannings and maybe using the cherry for a bench or side tabletop.. We'll see.

My List (so far):

Lamp (completed)
Coffee Table (in process)
Bookshelf
Refinish Sam's Kitchen Table
Hall Table (Fannings) ?

Chair(s)
Desk, perhaps

...something with some drawers...

No comments:

Post a Comment