28.11.10

Feet, a Bottom & the Top Cut to Size

I suppose I made a bit of a mistake.

Well, I've certainly made a number of mistakes throughout this project (which I'll likely enumerate often once I finish) but this one in particular: not accounting for the bottom panel, tripped me up. Really, it should have been just like the sides, dadoed into the bottom rails. But since I didn't do that before gluing the whole thing together, I missed the boat on that option.

(One of those 'things' I had talked about needing to do before the glue-up; a really glaring 'thing', actually).

Now that I have the bottom attached, I wish I had glued, doweled and/or screwed strips along the bottom insides of the rails, cut the bottom panel undersized (to allow for any expansion) and just laid the panel in without screws or glue. Instead, though, I cut angled edges on the bottom and screwed (then plugged the screw holes) directly up into the bottoms of the front rail and corner stiles. Then I screwed down through the bottom into the two feet.

Oh well. It's assembled.


All I need to do now is to find the piece that will run down the center of the table underneath the gap between the two top pieces, attach the hinges, and create little lock supports to prevent the table top from tipping open onto whomever happens to be sitting there. (I am intentionally giving the near table-top half several inches of over-hang.) The rough sketches for these supports are below.


Then I'll just need to do a few coats of oil and a couple with some urethane.
And I may 'ruin' the table-top with a wood-stained coffee ring so that the table shouldn't be treated as too precious an object.

1 comment:

  1. no, i think its best if you let the wear & tear happen organically... if you haven't already done it.

    ReplyDelete