7.11.10

It's Starting to Look Like Something...

Well I'm finally starting to get to the point where I've cleaned, milled, cut, sanded, and glued all my components and can begin to see just what this thing is going to look like. The last solid block of time I spent working on the coffee table, I managed to cut all the joints for the (reclaimed pine) frame. I reassembled it today so that I  could take a few measurements.


The pieces for the feet (approximate size, but not cut to shape) are stacked on the left and, yes, my safety glasses in the foreground. The frame mostly completed, my aim today was to cut the dadoes (in the frame) and rabbets (on the edges of the panels, once I'd cut them to size) and maybe even get one or two of them glued up.
I fell short of my goal because I couldn't cut the dadoes on the stiles (vertical posts). The dadoes on the rails (horizontals) run the full length of the piece, so I cut them with a dado blade (series of stacked blades and spacers) on the table saw. The dadoes on the stiles, however, need to start and stop at the mortises because the end-grain of the stiles is seen (at the top; underneath the lid) and would display the useless grooves.
Instead, the dadoes on the stiles need to be cut with a plunge router (and fence guide mounted to its base plate). But, I couldn't manage to get the 5/8" bit out of the (I think the only plunge) router nor but the 1/4" bit in. So I just got everything else ready and I'll ask Adam or Dave about it next time we're at the shop (I've been spending most of my days in Gladwyne at our installation site, finishing up some built-in cabinets).

I made the angled cuts on the two side panels:





The sides shown here will be the exterior faces. I chose not to fill the nail, screw, and staple holes left in the ex-kneelers. (I did fill the knot and screw holes in the pine frame and a few knots in the table-surface-slash-lid.)








 Then I cut the dadoes in all my rails and the rabbets on the panels and partially assembled them to finally have a look.




1 comment: